DeutschEnglish
Deutsches Kleingärtnermuseum
Aachener Str. 7
04109 Leipzig

Tel: (03 41) 2 11 11 94
Fax: (0341) 26 18 697
Mail: kleingaertnermuseum
@t-online.de

Öffnungszeiten:
Dienstag bis Donnerstag
jeweils 10.00 bis 16.00 Uhr

Sommeröffnungszeiten:
Juni bis August zusätzlich
am Samstag und Sonntag 10-16 Uhr

english guide

english guide

german allotment gardener`s museum

Germany´s allotment gardeners can be proud of a gardening treasure unique to the world.  Since 1996 a small museum documents the extraordinary history of allotment gardens in Germany.  Located at a historcal spot and housed in the club house of the gardens „Dr. Schreber“, which are listed as a protected memorial, the almost 200 year allotment gardening history is brought to life.

This colorful era has its roots in 1814 in Kappeln on the Schlei.  Pastor H. F. Chr. Schröder divided pastoral land into parcels and leased these to interested gardeners.  A Gardner´s Policy was instituted, the leasing price was fixed at a set rate, and a steering committee was established.  The humble beginning´s of the first German Allotment Gardener´s Club.

Starting around 1820, also in the North German Region, the Earl Carl of Hessen founded the first poverty garden grounds. As the vicegerent of Schleswig-Holstein, he felt it was his responsiblity to alleviate the suffering of the underpriviledged by assigning leased gardening land for the purpose of growing a supplemental food supply.

These are just two examples of many the branches on the gardener´s family tree. Among other branches to be discovered in this museumt, the factory and institutional gardens, the worker´s gardens from the Red Cross, the Shed Colonies of Berlin, the Naturopathic movement, and last but not least, the alloted gardens movement contribute to a history as colorful and varied as a flower bed.

During the Industrial Era and as a result of the spreading urbanisation, the longing for a parcel of green, a refuge against the dusty, crowded, noisy city streets and dwellings burgeoned.  The deprivation and famish that goes hand in hand with war expounded upon this desire.  The German Small Gardener´s culture was well established after World War I for these reasons.  The first law relevant for allotment gardeners was the  Small Garden and Small Leased Parcel Ordinance (Kleingarten- und Kleinpachtlandordnung), which was enacted in 1919.  And at long last the Imperial Federation of Allotment Garden Clubs of Germany (Reichsverband der Kleingartenvereine Deutschlands e.V.) was founded in 1921.

The museum´s exposition does not only shed light on the beginnings of the allotment gardens in Germany, but also marks its development through to modern times.

 

Opening hours

Tuesday – Thursday 10:00h – 16:00h

summer extra: june-august additional saturday and sunday 10:00h-17:00h

Group tours outside of the official opening hours are possible with a reservation.

 

Admission
adults:  4,00 Euro
reduced Rate: 3,00 Euro
children: free under the age of 16
 

As service we keep broschures und exhibition-guides in english ready for our guests.

 

  • 3 outside gardens (museums garden, a gardening shed exposition, garden from GDR-times)
  • historical playground
  • Biergarten and restaurant

We can be reached via Tram lines:  3, 4, 7, 15  (Tram stop: Waldplatz).